It is very much important to protect our content on digital platforms. The internet and digital media have changed drastically by how we access the information. Nowadays there are more problems faced on digital platforms and it is a serious problem to consider. Content theft is one of the problems that every person who owns a website face. With the majority of the companies and businesses having websites, the opportunity for copying of content has become much more predominant. If your website has valuable and unique content like articles or posts then it is sure to be copied by the competitors.
It is difficult to prevent copying or violations on your content but there are measures that you can take to reduce the act of copying the content or the images. It is definitely annoying to see your content being copied where you have put so much of effort into planning, producing and publishing the content through content marketing.
Below are a few tips and advice for you to follow and ensure that your content is safe on digital platforms.
1. Copyrights: Copyright is known as a legal right of intellectual property. This copyright protects the work of the original creators. The content that you have produced on your own can be protected if copyright symbol or “all rights reserved” phrase is displayed. You can register for alerts, just in case anyone has copied your content on any platform, then you will receive alerts.
2. Watermarks: A watermark is a logo or text that is put onto another image intentionally. Copying of images is also an offense, so protecting images from getting copied can be done by including a watermark on the images. The main purpose of a watermark is to make it difficult for the original image to be copied or to be used by other people without permission. If these watermarked images are taken, then you can easily distinguish it as yours.
3. Reviewing competitors' content: Your competitors might also steal your content from your website and put the same content on their website. You need to give a regular review of your competitors' website and check if they have any plagiarised content related to your website.
4. Logos and taglines: Do you have any catchy taglines that you have used in your website content or on any social media platforms. Then your taglines are at risk of getting copied by your competitors. It is your responsibility to ensure that others are not copying your content. You also need to protect your logo and brand by providing legal protection to it.
5. DMCA badge: If you are a WordPress user, then you will have a plugin to install called DMCA plugin which offers both free and paid protection for your website. If any person is using your website images or content, then that person will receive legal action on your behalf. DMCA sets a security badge to your WordPress website that causes a hindrance for image or content copiers.
Finally, it is we who have to be careful because it is our responsibility to ensure that others are not copying our content or images. You have various software and plugins that can be used, to avoid content or image theft.